Home  Family  Change of Name

Change of Name


By Deed Poll you can officially change any part of your forenames or surname, or even your entire name. This means you can choose to change your forename, middle names and surname as well as being able to add or remove names. You can also rearrange current forenames or alter spellings. However, the new name that you wish to use must not challenge any of the points below.

Your application will not be accepted for a name that:


A child’s name can be changed at any time, provided it is not to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure which must be followed in order to change a child’s name, providing all the people who need to give their consent have done so, that is that all the people with Parental Responsibility for the child, consents. The parent simply starts using the new name. A child’s forename or surname can be changed, names can be added or rearranged.

If all the people with Parental Responsibility do not consent, then an application can be made to the court for a Specific Issue Order for the child’s name to be changed



Bookmark and Share